FLAN: Recipe One
Milk 2 cups Eggs 4 Sugar 6.5 ounces Vanilla (1 small flask) and/or
1/2 to 2 tablespoons
- In a custard mold place 50 grams of sugar and a few drops of lemon and place near the fire to make a caramel. Turn the mold every way to ensure that both the bottom and all the sides are covered with caramel. Allow to cool.
- Boil the milk with the vanilla. Mix the eggs and the sugar in a separate pan and beat whisk a little bit. Then add slowly the boiled milk, still hot.
- Pour all this into the cooled mold and cook in the oven inside a pot with hot water covering over the level of the mixture seventy five minutes (in a strong electric oven; up to three times that much in a weaker gas oven). Then stick a knitting needle. If it comes out clean, take out of the oven, allow to cool and pour from the mold onto a glass plate.
FLAN: Recipe Two
Sugar 1 cup Milk 2 cups Eggs 4 Vanilla 1 bean, split lengthwise (or 1 small flask of extract) Lemon Peel (if desired) 1/2 to 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small, heavy saucepan, place 1/2 cup (8 tbs or 4 ounces) of the sugar and cook over medium heat until it turns golden. Remove from heat and pour the caramel into a single 6-cup (1,440 ml) mould or six 6-ounce custard cups, tilting to coat the bottom molds.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk and the vanilla bean, if using, slowly to the boiling point (and/or dried lemon peel, if using). Remove from heat and set aside. Add the vanilla extract now, if using.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs together, then gradually beat in 1/2 cup (120 ml or four oz. or 112 g.) of sugar. Remove the vanilla bean from the hot milk if using. Whisk the hot milk into the eggs and transfer to the caramel-coated molds. Place in a baking dish and add hot water to cover up the sides of the mold(s) over the level of the mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for about 75 minutes (in a strong electric oven, or up to three times that much in a weaker gas one), or until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean. Let cool, chill in the refrigerator, and unmold onto a serving plate or plates.
Makes 6 servings.
Return to The Kamikaze Peep Squad.
Return to KPS Recipes.